Monday, February 10, 2014

Turkey Sausage, Tomato & Arugula Pasta

I love pasta. If I had to choose only 1 meal I could eat for the rest of my life, it would undoubtedly be my Grandma Phil's homemade cavatelli. Unfortunately, eating a ton of pasta isn't a very healthy diet. In an effort to satisfy my pasta cravings, I try to invent lighter versions of some delicious pasta dishes, and also incorporate some ingredients to add extra nutritional value, so I don't feel guilty while indulging on my Italian favorites.

I am a big fan of spicy food, and so is my husband, so I always opt for "hot" whenever it's available. If you your taste buds don't agree with the extra heat, you can easily swap the hot sausage in this recipe with a sweet or mild version. Also, if you aren't a fan of arugula (my mom thinks it's too bitter), switch this with some baby spinach.

This dish is easy, quick (all under 30 minutes), light, and a complete meal loaded with veggies and protein. Whenever I make a pasta dish under 400 calories, I chalk it up as a major success! Plus, since this dish is full of protein so it leaves you full, but doesn't weigh you down.

This has become a go-to classic in my house and I hope it will work its way into your weekly menu, too!

INGREDIENTS:
- 1lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 6 oz of arugula
- 1c low-sodium chicken broth
- 1tbsp dry basil
- 2tbsp dry parsley
- 1/4c grated Parmesan cheese
- 4c of dry whole wheat shells pasta (about 1/2 of a 16oz package)

HOW-TO:

Cook the pasta according to the package. Note: I do not add salt to my boiling water to stay away from any extra sodium. But if you prefer to season your water with some salt, feel free!

In the mean time, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the sausage by squeezing it out of the casings. As it begins to cook, break up the sausage with a skillet. Cook the sausage for about 7-10 minutes, or until it is cooked through.

Add the cherry tomatoes, arugula and chicken broth. Mix all of the ingredients together in the skillet and cover with a lid. Let this cook until he arugula begins to wilt, about 3-5 minutes. Add the basil, parsley, and Parmesan cheese and combine.


Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and combine until all ingredients are evenly combined. Serve with a garnish of shaved or grated fresh Parmesan cheese.


I garnish with some red pepper flakes to add a little extra heat to my meal.



TIPS:
- You can swap the hot sausage with a sweet version.
- You can swap the turkey sausage with chicken sausage.
- Replace the arugula with baby spinach or use a spinach/arugula mixture
- Try a twist or bowtie pasta instead of shells

Nutritional Info Per Serving (recipe yields 4 servings):
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 875mg
- Carbs: 45g
- Protein: 32g





No comments:

Post a Comment