Thursday, January 23, 2014

Drunken Mussels

I am allergic to shellfish so I couldn't actually taste this, but I made this for Justin & my dad on Christmas Eve & they both said it was delicious. I am not sure if they were being truthful or they are just scared of me if they said otherwise, so try it for yourself & let me know what you think!

INGREDIENTS:
- 1tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2lbs Frozen Mussels (you could use fresh but they are more expensive - I got 2 of the1lb frozen bags, Bantry Bay brand from Giant Eagle)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 can 14.5oz whole tomatoes
- 1c dry white wine (I used a Chardonnay)
- Fresh parsley for garnish

HOW-TO:

Heat the oil in a large Dutch Oven (or large pot if you don't own a Dutch Oven) over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender and browned, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and crushed red pepper. Stir in the can of tomatoes with their juices and the wine. Break up the tomatoes with the side of a spoon. Heat until boiling.

Once the sauce is boiling then add the mussels. Bring the sauce back to boiling then reduce to med-low heat, cover and simmer until the mussels open. Keep an eye on the mussels and transfer them to a large serving bowl as they open. After 5 minutes, throw any mussels away that haven't opened.

Pour the sauce over the muscles and garnish with fresh parsley then serve.



TIPS: Serve with some crusty, fresh bread for dipping or over some linguine to make a complete meal.

Nutritional Info Per Serving (recipe yields 4 servings):
Calories: 195
Fat: 6g
Sodium: 325mg
Protein: 18g







No comments:

Post a Comment