Monday, January 27, 2014

Veggie Pasta Marinara

After spending a lot of time in airports this past weekend, I was glad to get back in my kitchen & try to get back on somewhat of a normal routine to start my Monday. I didn't have time to get to the grocery store Sunday night after a weekend away, so I had to throw together some stuff I had available in my pantry.

I found these veggie pasta variations by Barilla at Giant Eagle & thought I should try to incorporate it in to a meal. Beware - this pasta is not solely made out of veggies! It is basically regular pasta but pureed vegetables are added to it to give it a boost of some extra nutrients, so you still have the same amount of carbs, calories, etc.

It is still a low-cal meal with 2.5 servings of veggies per serving! It also only took me 20 minutes from start to table. Can't beat that speed on a freezing Monday evening.

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 12oz box of Barilla Veggie Rotini (made with zucchini & spinach)
-  6 cloves of garlic peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dry basil
- 1 tbsp dry parsley
- 1/4c of cooking water from pasta
- 1/4c grated Parmesan 

HOW TO:
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box & drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add garlic & saute for about 1 minute. Add the onion & continue to cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions start to become transparent.

Add the the tomatoes, basil, and parsley and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the starchy, cooking water from your pasta. Add the cooked pasta to all the skillet and combine with sauce. Add the grated Parmesan, combine & serve!



TIP: I garnish with crushed red pepper flakes for some extra flavor & heat.
Nutritional Info Per Serving (recipe yields 4 servings):
- Calories: 471
- Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 462mg
- Protein: 26g
- Carbs: 63g
BONUS: Each serving has 2.5 servings of veggies!


How cute are my little helpers?! I bought the elbow noodle variation made with added squash & carrots & the boys loved them prepared as butter noodles!




No comments:

Post a Comment