Sunday, January 12, 2014

South of the Border White Chicken Chili

It's hard for me to find a good, healthy soup I can eat day after day. If love the cream of anything kind of soups, but they are so unhealthy. I've tried my hand at cream of broccoli & beer cheese but neither even came close to measuring up to the real thing. I think some things just require the fat to taste good.

Alas, I try to find other comfort soups that could satisfy my tastebuds but not go straight to my hips. I came up with a super-easy White Chicken Chili this weekend that is so good, Justin asked me to make it again today so he had it to bring for lunch all week. Best part - it's Crock Pot cooking so the most time consuming part of this recipe is opening a few cans. 

INGREDIENTS:
- 2-2.5 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (tenders would work, too)
- 2 packets of taco seasoning (I use the 40% lower sodium by Ortega)
- 2 4.5 oz of diced green chiles (I use Ortega)
- 32oz Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (I get the Rachael Ray All-Natural brand)
- 2 10.25oz cans of fat free/low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- Green Onion for garnish

HOW-TO:
All you have to do is combine all ingredients (except the sour cream & green onion) in a Crock Pot & cook on low for 8 hours. Once cooking is over, shred up the chicken with 2 forks then stir in the sour cream. Spoon out a serving & garnish with a few green onions & enjoy.

TIPS:
- This is great to bring for lunch for the week & heats up easy, so even if you don't plan on serving 8 people, make this on a Sunday & have it for the week!
- If you only want to make 4 servings, just cut the recipe in half. 
- For a crunchy finish, add a few tortilla strips or crunch up a couple tortilla strips. 
- If you like it spicy, add some chopped jalapenos when serving and/or your favorite hot sauce.



Nutritional Facts Per Serving (recipe yields 8 servings):
Calories: 265
Fat: 2.5g
Sodium: 980mg
Protein: 38g

2 comments:

  1. Jillian, made this White Chicken Chili recipe the other day and it was delicious and will definitely make this again! I added Black Beans, White Kidney Beans and Corn and it made a one dish meal! Will try more of The Hungry Games recipes for sure! Simple, ingredients that are not "Hello What??" and very Tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am so glad you liked it! I bet the beans and corn was a great addition, thank you so much for sharing!! I have some ideas on other dishes I plan on getting together and posting in the next couple of weeks so keep your eyes peeled :)

      Delete